As burgalary is very common, we believe that video surveillance is a trivial tool in our daily lifes which helps us to feel a little bit more secure. Responding to this need, a lot of companies have started developing their own video surveillance software in the past few years.
Nowadays we have a myriad of expensive camera's, recorders and software solutions which are mainly outdated and difficult to install and use. Kerberos.io's goal is to solve these problems and to provide every human being in this world to have its own ecological, affordable, easy-to-use and innovative surveillance solution. Read more about our strategy here.
Kerberos.io is a low-budget video surveillance solution, that uses computer vision algorithms to detect changes, and that can trigger other devices. Kerberos.io is open source so everyone can customize the source code to its needs and share it with the community under the CC-NC-ND license model. When deployed on the Raspberry Pi or any other board, it has a green footprint and it's easy to install; you only need to transfer the Kerberos.io OS (KIOS) to your SD card and that's it.
How does it work?
The machinery is responsible for the processing. It's an image processing framework which takes images from the type of camera (USB-, IP- or RPi-camera) you've configured in the configuration files and executes one ore more algorithms and post-processes (e.g. save a snapshot). The configuration files allow you to define the type of camera, post-processes, conditions and much more; it's highly configurable. It's important to note that the machinery, out-of-the-box, can handle only one camera at a time.
The web is responsible for the visualization. It's a GUI which helps the user to find activity at a specific period, configure the machinery, view a live stream, see system information and much more. It's important to note that the machinery can work without the web, however we don't recommend this.
The cloud is an extra service, which is available by default but is not required. The main goal of this service is to view your activity from everywhere in the world. By subscribing to a plan, you can sync your images to the cloud application. To have a more detailed explanation go to the machinery and web pages.
Kerberos.io comes with a bunch of features, below you can find a short list of the most important ones.
- Full range camera support (USB, Raspberry Pi v1.3 and v2.1, and IP cameras which support a RTSP or MJPEG stream).
- Constraints to make detection more intelligent (time interval, regions, etc).
- Ability to save snapshots and video recording and execute/trigger a bash script, webhooks or GPIO pin.
- Live streaming (MJPEG) on the web or with another program like VLC or IP camera viewer.
- Heatmap and latest sequence of activity.
- Fluent and responsive overview (Smartphone, Tablet and PC) of snapshots by day and hour.
- System information (CPU, disk, network, etc).
- Use Kerberos.cloud to view your activity from anywhere in the world.
- Multiple cameras with Docker or Raspbian; read more about the best practices.
- REST API to control Kerberos.io from your custom solution/program.
- Cross-browser support: IE, Chrome, Safari, Firefox.
Installing Kerberos.io to your IoT device, has never been so easy. By using our cross-platform installer, you can run a fully configured video surveillance system within 3 minutes. Indeed, we also think that's awesome!
By using the KiOS installer, you'll get an easy to use GUI which allows you to configure and flash KiOS to your SD card. Just download the installer, select a version, specify your network configurations, select your SD card and press the flash button; it can't be easier. If you don't want to reflash you SD card, you can run Kerberos.io on your existing Raspbian or Armbian installation, or if you like containers with Docker.